Friday, February 26, 2016

Final Discourse Analysis Discussion

Looking back at an online discussion early in the Assessment for e-Learning course, I was surprised to read my words. It seems that as courses progress, I tend to change my discourse when I know the students more and become more detailed. I would definitely say that I am the Donald Trump type, as I always want to jump right into talking about a topic or issue and get to the point. And, I have so many ideas, insights and interpretations on a topic such as that one about the SAMR ladder that I always feel I am editing/cutting/editing my words. I am certainly the speaker in a group and enjoy being front and center with my discourse in a leader position instead of in a quiet, passive or follower position.
Qualities of my own discourse:
Intricate ideas
Clear
In-depth
Explanatory
Friendly
Visual details
Specifics
For teaching online in the future, some tones and elements that I may wish to alter in order to be more approachable include shorter and to the point, open and inviting and light on details. I am so used to writing fiction as a novelist that I feel always an urge to give details from all angles like describing a scene or setting. I would like to invite my students to speak more as I step back and don’t over-speak to them, while letting them fill in some of their own blanks. After all, it is a learning environment and too much speaking or 'telling' doesn't allow students room to explore the mystery or gaps on their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment